(I used the picture off myrecipes.com because I never think to get my camera out while cooking.)
I found this recipe on Pinterest a few months ago and we LOVE it. I’ve made it twice now and it’s been SO good both times. The BEST part is that one serving is only 5 points on Weight Watchers (if your 9×13 pan yields 8 servings). I serve the casserole with corn (2 points) and tortilla chips and salsa (4 points for 12 chips). SO…the total meal is only 11 points!
The recipe, how I prepare it, is below. If you’d like to see the original recipe, click the link above.
Mexican Chicken Casserole
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (4.5 ounce) cans chopped green chiles
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons light olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (I use the frozen pre-chopped onions)
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) fat free cream cheese
- 1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
- 8 (6-in) corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 0z) shredded, reduced-fat, cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 oz) can sliced black olives
- Combine broth and 1 can green chiles in large skillet; bring to a boil.
- Add chicken (I cut each breast in half), reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done, turning chicken once.
- Remove chicken from cooking liquid, reserving cooking liquid.
- Cool chicken and shred with 2 forks.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 can green chiles and onion. Saute 3 minutes or until soft.
- Add reserved cooking liquid, milk, MJ cheese, cream cheese, and enchilada sauce. Stir well.
- Stir in shredded chicken and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place 4 tortillas in the bottom of a 9×13 pan coated with cooking spray.
- Spoon half chicken mixture over the tortillas.
- Repeat layers one more time ending with chicken mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and black olives.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
This is the dessert I mentioned in yesterday’s post. It is another super easy recipe that is a crowd favorite. My friends affectionately refer to it as “Oreo Junk in the Trunk.”
- 2 (8 oz) packages of cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 (3.5 oz) boxes of instant vanilla pudding
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 24 oz Cool Whip (one 8 oz and one 16 oz)
- 1 package Oreo cookies
(FYI: This recipe is approximately 12 points on Weight Watchers…depending on your portion size. You can always lighten it up by using light or fat free cream cheese, milk, and Cool Whip.)
I’ve mentioned Chicken Spaghetti a couple times now, so I thought it would only be fair to share the recipe. It’s SO easy and definitely a crowd pleaser.
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 1 pkg (12 oz) spaghetti, boiled in chicken broth (The original recipe says to add 1/2 cup finely chopped celery and 1/2 cup finely chopped onion to the water when you boil the spaghetti. I don’t usually add the celery or onion)
- 1 can Italian seasoned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 can rotel
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 small can sliced black olives
- 1/2 pound Velveeta sliced
Drain boiled spaghetti and mix the chicken and all above ingredients in a large bowl. Pour mixture into 9 x 13 pan and bake for 30 min at 350. Serves approximately 8 people.
(FYI: This recipe is only 6-8 points on Weight Watchers…depending on your portion size.)
Friends, you HAVE TO try Pioneer Woman’s “Best Lasagna Ever.” You won’t regret it. I’ve made it three times now, and it doesn’t disappoint. One little tip: This recipe makes A LOT. I recommend making it in two square pans instead of one 9×13 pan. This way you can bake one and freeze the other. Don’t delay. You’ll thank me later.