Project Pretty: DIY Key HolderPosted: March 2, 2012
Jen, over at I Heart Organizing, posted a “Project Pretty” challenge last week to beautify a piece of organization or storage in some way. Today, she is hosting a link party for everyone to share what they’ve been working on this week. I’m really looking forward to seeing what everyone did!
As I’ve shared recently, I’ve been working on redoing my laundry room. The laundry room is right off the garage so it’s the first and last place we see as we enter and exit our home. This makes it a great place to hang our keys. I had purchased a cheap key holder at IKEA a year or so ago and had taken it off the wall as I was in the process of moving things around in the laundry room. In a random (and pretty hysterical) miscommunication between Nick and me, the key holder was taken out to the curb with the trash.
So…instead of shelling out a few more dollars for another one, I decided to use some things I had around the house to make a new one that fits in with the color scheme and overall look I’m going for in the updated space.
These are most of the supplies that I used. I got the fabric from my friend Karen’s gold mine of fabric scraps and I bought the hooks from Lowe’s. I had everything else on hand.
I laid the wood on the fabric and cut around it leaving about a 1.5-2 inch edge all the way around.
I used the tacky glue to attach the fabric to the wood. I covered the front first and then folded up the edges like I was wrapping a present.
I used my Silhouette software to make the design for the front of the key holder. I decided to use one of my favorite verses since I’ll be seeing the key holder several times a day.
I used Mod Podge to glue down the doily and the verse and then covered the whole piece in one or two layers of Mod Podge. I took this picture right after when it still really wet.
After it dried, I hammered a white thumb tack on each of the 4 corners to press down the fabric that was bulging up and as a little extra artistic detail.
Then I added this wall hanger to the back.
The last step was pre-drilling the 4 holes for the hooks and then screwing the hooks in. And…tada! This is the finished product. Not perfect…but has character :)