Mexican Chicken CasserolePosted: February 29, 2012
(I used the picture off myrecipes.com because I never think to get my camera out while cooking.)
I found this recipe on Pinterest a few months ago and we LOVE it. I’ve made it twice now and it’s been SO good both times. The BEST part is that one serving is only 5 points on Weight Watchers (if your 9×13 pan yields 8 servings). I serve the casserole with corn (2 points) and tortilla chips and salsa (4 points for 12 chips). SO…the total meal is only 11 points!
The recipe, how I prepare it, is below. If you’d like to see the original recipe, click the link above.
Mexican Chicken Casserole
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (4.5 ounce) cans chopped green chiles
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons light olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (I use the frozen pre-chopped onions)
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) fat free cream cheese
- 1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
- 8 (6-in) corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 0z) shredded, reduced-fat, cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 oz) can sliced black olives
- Combine broth and 1 can green chiles in large skillet; bring to a boil.
- Add chicken (I cut each breast in half), reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done, turning chicken once.
- Remove chicken from cooking liquid, reserving cooking liquid.
- Cool chicken and shred with 2 forks.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 can green chiles and onion. Saute 3 minutes or until soft.
- Add reserved cooking liquid, milk, MJ cheese, cream cheese, and enchilada sauce. Stir well.
- Stir in shredded chicken and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place 4 tortillas in the bottom of a 9×13 pan coated with cooking spray.
- Spoon half chicken mixture over the tortillas.
- Repeat layers one more time ending with chicken mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and black olives.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.