25 Random Things About MePosted: January 27, 2009
I did this on Facebook and actually had a great time! I’ve really enjoyed reading all the random things about my friends too! C’mon everybody…join in the fun!
1. I am horrified by the sound and texture of cotton balls.
2. I am bilingual–English and American Sign Language. If understanding a Trinidadian accent is considered knowing a language, I am trilingual.
3. I went to Broken Arrow Public Schools for my entire educational career–Westwood Elementary, Haskell Middle School, North Intermediate, and the high school.
4. I love Taco Bueno. I know it’s full of salt and lard but I just can’t get enough of it. My love for Bueno provides me with a constant opportunity to practice self control.
5. I am exactly like my Dad. I love people, I’m stubborn, I’m passionate, I’m obsessive compulsive, and I have dry heels. That pretty much covers the 2 of us in a nut shell.
6. I love reality TV…Bachelor, Survivor, Project Runway, Biggest Loser, Amazing Race, etc. Watching these shows brings joy to my soul.
7. Throughout my career as a Deaf Educator, I have managed to really tick some people off. I am very passionate about my educational philosophy and it has definitely rubbed some people the wrong way.
8. Dry skin is terrible. I apply lotion to my entire body EVERY DAY of the year. When I see people with dry/ashy skin, it really stresses me out. Of course I would marry a brown man…
9. I have an AMAZING family. My parents, my sisters, and I are VERY close. We have SO much fun when we are together.
10. I have an AMAZING husband. Nick and I spend our lives laughing and enjoying life to the fullest. I love living every day of my life with him by my side.
11. I do not have many natural talents. Any talent that I possess is something that I have worked really hard at. I do have one hidden talent. I have the ability to close off the walls of my pharynx and alter my voice to sound like someone who has been smoking for 40+ years. I’ve named that person “Mary.”
12. There is nothing better than a large Diet Coke with vanilla from Sonic.
13. Filling out a planner is very exciting to me. One of the best days of the year is when my old planner is finished and I get to buy a new one.
14. I had a 10 page itinerary for my wedding. Everyone who was involved was provided with a copy of the itinerary with their particular part highlighted. This was not my original idea. I stole it from my friend, Allison. Our OCD tendencies connect us together on a very deep level.
15. I am really passionate about friendships. I love to make my friends feel loved, taken care of, special, surprised, and comfortable. A broken or lost friendship is devastating to me.
16. I love having a clean house but I do not enjoy cleaning. I constantly invite people over so that I have a reason to force myself to clean. P.S. It is a common understanding among friends that when invited to my house to hang out, it is against the rules to dress cute. Nick and I enjoy being comfy at our house and we require that of others.
17. I love to read…especially Karen Kingsbury and Francine Rivers novels. In fact, I have pursued this passion and will graduate this May with a Masters in Reading.
18. I’m 7 1/2 months pregnant with a baby boy. Funny side note: One of my 5th grade Deaf students puts his ear close to my belly on a daily basis and tells me he can hear the baby crying.
19. I spent most of my freshman year of high school studying Auschwitz, a death camp of the Holocaust. A friend and I created a 10 minute video documentary for a national history competition and actually got to compete at the national level in Washington D.C. I will never forget the tragedy of the Holocaust.
20. I enjoy talking on the phone. This is particularly thrilling for my friends Karen Luper, Karen Serna, and Joleen Cervantez.
21. I have traveled internationally to Mexico, Vietnam, Trinidad, and Australia.
22. I used to be a major tom boy. My clothing of choice was baggy flannel shirts, jeans, and Timberland boots. The fact that I wear jewelry and makeup today is a great relief to my mother.
23. In 10th grade, I got the typing award for my high school (98 wpm). While I should have been proud, I sat there humiliated as my closest friends swept up all of the academic awards.
24. I have experienced some very unusual ailments in my lifetime. I got a staph infection through a cut in my foot while at a retreat at Falls Creek. I didn’t tell anyone for 2 weeks because I was convinced I was dying from flesh eating disease. I had an ulcer on my eye. I cracked my tailbone 2 times in 2 different places within 2 weeks. I was scratched by a child and within days it turned into ring worm.
25. I am highly insecure but I’m insecure about people finding out about my insecurity so I mask it with a loud and confident personality.